Counting My Blessings

This week has proven to be the most memorable week of pregnancy thus far. Sunday afternoon, I started feeling some lower back pain. I didn't suspect anything because I know random aches and pains are common during pregnancy. But then by the time I went to bed, they had gotten a lot stronger. I took some Tylenol and managed to get about an hour and a half of sleep but then woke up with an unbearable pain. After what felt like only a few brief moments, I was on a stretcher in an ambulance and on my way to the hospital with a suspected kidney infection! The paramedics gave me some Paracetamol, but the pain relief only lasted for about an hour—the drive to the hospital was the best I felt! Before I knew it, I was sitting in the hospital getting pricked and poked, waiting for some answers, and then the pain returned. All I wanted was some relief!

The answer I received was different than what I was expecting. Actually, I don't even know what I was expecting. But after being given some codeine (thank the Lord for strong painkillers!), I was told I'd be admitted into a room and would most likely have to stay overnight. What a day of firsts! I rode in an ambulance for the first time and then I was staying overnight in a hospital for the first time. I was also spending my first night away from Craig since we got married. That was the part I was most sad about.



By the end of the day, I was hoping they'd change their minds and let me go home. After all, I had already had my kidney scan and was told the results were in. All that was needed was a doctor to go over the results with me. But by 7pm, visiting hours were over, Craig had to leave, and no doctor was available. The more I sat there, the more I had time to think, and after a bit of moping over missing my husband, I had a realization that I was blessed. God has been SO good to me. Being in the hospital ward in a room with sections separated by curtains, I was able to hear a lot. It was a humbling experience.

The lady to the left of me was diagnosed with preeclampsia. She was only 34 weeks pregnant but was scheduled for an emergency cesarean on Thursday because her baby was measuring small and wasn't very active. By the time I was discharged on Tuesday, her cesarean had been bumped up and she had already been taken to pre-op. The lady across from me was an even sadder case. She was an epileptic so she had delivered her baby reeeeeally early. The whole day, she was crying because she wanted to be with her baby. The midwives kept telling her she needed to pump her breastmilk so they could feed her baby human milk which is crucial when a baby is as premature as hers. But, of course, when a woman delivers a baby as early as she did, her body won't produce the necessary amount of breastmilk. Because of this, the midwives told her that they'd have to resort to donor milk if she couldn't pump enough. This only made her cry more and more saying things like "I don't want another woman to feed my baby!" in the midst of her sobs.

As I laid there in my bed hearing all these sad stories that surrounded me, I felt out of place. My problems seemed far too minimal compared to the other women. It was then that I began counting my blessings. Blessing #1: Craig. The biggest blessing in my life. The perfect answer to all my prayers. My lover, my best friend, my helpmate. Blessing #2: Baby Walker. A true joy already—even before his arrival! Alive, healthy, active. If I made a exhaustive list of all my blessings, the list would be too long to read! God has truly been good to me. 

I was discharged from the hospital at noon yesterday. Rather than the suspected kidney infection, it was only fluid retention in the kidneys caused by the growing uterus pressing on the tube between my bladder and my kidneys. Rather than a foreign infection caused by a bacteria, it was a more minor infection caused by fluids already in my body. I don't fully understand the science behind it, but the doctor explained to me that it was the reason for my extreme pain and placed me on antibiotics to hopefully fix the problem. He also explained to me that this was quite common in pregnancy especially for women my size and gave me a box of the magical pain killers to take home along with my antibiotics. Thank the good Lord for modern medicine!

I am praising God that the problem was so minor. I am so thankful that our baby is fine and doesn't even seem to be phased by this! I am thankful for doctors that know what they are doing and for the medicines they provide. And I am thankful to be back home with my wonderful husband!

This entry was posted on Nov 5, 2014 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 . You can leave a response .

6 Responses to “ Counting My Blessings ”

Bethany pillow said...

I'm so happy and relieved everything turned out okay Liz! God has His hands on this baby and on you and your husband. I will be praying for you guys <3 in so excited for you

La Ronica Adeleke said...

I am so happy to hear that you and the baby are doing well. Such a blessing!

Elizabeth Walker said...

Thanks La Ronica!

Elizabeth Walker said...

Thanks Bethany!! I miss you!!

Tracey Wallis said...

So pleased your all ok xxxx God is great!

Elizabeth Walker said...

Thanks Tracey! He is indeed!!

Leave a Reply